Daily News update on – Science


May 17, 2021

NEWS

Space.com

Designated Space Based Infrared System Geosynchronous Earth Orbit Flight 5 (SBIRS Geo-5), the mission marks ULA’s first launch so far this year. However, the company has a busy summer planned, including the launch of Boeing’s Starliner crew capsule to …

Facebook Twitter

Space.com

ULA is targeting its planned backup attempt of Tuesday afternoon (May 18), with liftoff now scheduled for 1:31 p.m. EDT (1731 GMT). The two-stage rocket was …

Facebook Twitter

Space.com

The European Space Agency (ESA) recently released a timelapse video capturing the pristine night sky above Europe’s spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana, where preparations are underway for the arrival and integration of Europe’s latest launcher, Ariane 6.

Facebook Twitter

CNN

China’s Zhurong rover has landed on Mars. Hong Kong (CNN) China’s space agency has an extraordinary gift for the ruling Communist Party’s 100th birthday: …

Facebook Twitter

Space.com

We haven’t seen any photos taken by Zhurong yet, but those are likely coming soon as well. The rover’s traveling companion, the Tianwen-1 Mars orbiter, had been circling the Red Planet every 48 hours.

Facebook Twitter

Space.com

A European startup is perfecting technology that will be sent to the moon to make oxygen from lunar soil as part of a 2025 European Space Agency (ESA) demonstration mission. Belgium-based Space Applications Services is building three experimental …

Facebook Twitter

Phys.Org

Just like people, glacier microbes modify their homes. When I first saw the melting fringes of Greenland’s vast ice sheet, it looked as if a dust storm had scattered a vast blanket of dirt on the ice. Our team later discovered the dirt included extensive mats of glacier …

Facebook Twitter

Phys.Org

The ocean is a big place with many deep, dark mysteries. Humans have mapped no more than 20% of the sea, and explored less. Even the kelp forests of Southern California—among the best studied patches of ocean on the planet—hide species not yet …

Facebook Twitter

Livescience.com

A microscopic view of a thin piece of polished rock from Jack hills. A gypsum plate on the microscope allowed scientists to see a rainbow spectrum of quartz. Rocks from Jack Hills are 99% quartz, and the remaining 1% includes precious zircons. (Image credit: …

Facebook Twitter

Space.com

Four and a half decades after launch and over 14 billion miles from Earth, Voyager 1 still makes new discoveries. The spacecraft has picked up the signature of interstellar space itself, a faint plasma “hum” scientists compared to gentle rain. Plasma has been …

Facebook Twitter